Tuesday, March 1, 2022

What Prayer Means to Me - Pt. 1

 

In the early Vedic period prayers were important because people prayed for birth of a son, fertility of cows or material welfare.  Though centuries have passed, our prayers continue to be pleas for the fulfilment of worldly desires.

This reminds me of the story of Rabiya, a very young Turkish saint.  One day, her friend asked her, "You pray continuously in the morning and again in the afternoon, for three hours missing your siesta.  You prayed for two hours in the morning too.  What do you pray for?  What is that precious thing which you beg from God?"

"Do you want vast wealth?"

Rabiya said, "No."

"Do you want excellent health?"

"No."

"Then what do you pray for?"

Rabiya said, "I pray for God to take me as His own, to reject any material desires I plague Him with and only grant me the wish when I pray for the welfare of others."

That is the true meaning of prayer, the very essence which remains almost forgotten by all of us.

~ Swapna Raghu

(Author of "Pearl of Divinity & Tryst with Divinity".  Spiritual Impressions July-Aug. 2001)


No comments:

Post a Comment