Sunday, January 17, 2010

Helping Others

I recently began voluntary work at Kobe Kaisei Hospital, Japan. This is a difficult country to find meaningful activities. There is a barrier of language, culture and customs. These prevent foreigners from assimilating into Japanese society.



On the other hand, we all need friends and social activities and it is all too easy to lead a frivolous lifestyle. I believe we should help the community in which we live. This brought me to Kaisei Hospital. The first thing I was given were the Ten Commandments of Human Relations.



1. Speak to people. There is nothing as nice as a cheerful word.


2. Smile at people. It takes 72 muscles to frown, only 14 to smile.


3. Call people by name - the sweetest music to any one's ear is the sound of his name.


4. Be friendly and helpful. If you would have friends, be friendly.


5. Be cordial. Speak and act as if everything you do were a genuine pleasure.


6. Be genuinely interested in people. You can like everybody if you try.


7. Be generous with praise, cautious with criticism.


8. Be considerate to the feelings of others. It will be appreciated.


9. Be thoughtful about the opinions of others. There are three sides to a controversy - yours, the other fellow's and the right one.


10. Be alert to give service. What counts in life is what we do for others.



I met a variety of people at Kaisei Hospital. I particularly remember a young boy of 12 years who was ill with leukemia. It distressed me to think, so soon he must face death. It makes you realise that time is wasted in anger, vanity and uncharitable thoughts.



Coming from India, I have always had a dream of helping Mother Teresa. The selfless dedication of a foreigner has shown what we should do for India. My work at Kaisei is a small contribution to my ideal of helping the less fortunate.


~ Shalini Chand
(From Kan Sai Light, Japan)

No comments:

Post a Comment