Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Fingers of the Hand


"One day, the fingers of the hand had an argument, each claiming to be the most important," said Swami. He illustrated with His hand.

The little finger said:"I am the most important because when people talk and advise each other, they gesture, and I am the first finger on their hands."

The ring finger disagreed. "I wear the crown, I am the king finger."

The middle finger said: "No, I'm the best. I'm the tallest."

The index finger said: "I point everything out, that makes me the best."

The thumb laughed at them. "Why fight among yourselves? Without me, the hand is of no use - I am the essential one."

Baba smiled and said, "All of them are important, and like the religions, all must work together."


(From An Indian Notebook - Dr. Bill Jackson)

No comments:

Post a Comment