Thursday, November 29, 2012

Waste of Time



There was a doctor in Benares who spent 5 minutes in the morning and 5 in the evening for meditation on God.  Knowing this, his colleagues and friends laughed at the idiosyncrasy.

One day they argued that he was wasting ten precious minutes on something which he had been misled into believing.  The doctor replied, "Well, if God does not exist, I agree that I am wasting ten minutes a day.  But what if He exists?  I am afraid you are wasting your entire lifetime.  I prefer to waste ten minutes rather than a lifetime.  Why should you grudge me the ten minutes' joy that I derive therefrom?  I am not robbing you of your joy; why should you rob me of mine?"  he asked.

The cynics were silenced.

(Chinna Katha from the Divine Discourses of Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba)

No comments:

Post a Comment