Saturday, May 24, 2014

Missing Film Roll



 
Dasara, 1944: One night, there was a grand procession of Baba seated in a floral palanquin. I was eager to take a photograph, but couldn’t. So, I begged Baba to keep the palanquin intact and allow me to take the picture with Him seated in it, when day broke. He agreed, and I was happy. But, my husband wanted to leave for Bangalore and I had to start before dawn. 

Seeing my plight, a photographer who had come to Puttaparthi (Baba was then residing at the `old' Mandir, adjacent to the village) assured me that he would take the snap and send my camera with the film, to me through my servant, whom I left behind.

When the servant came to Bangalore, he brought the camera empty! He said the man had clicked the photo, but refused to hand over the film. He will send it after developing it, from Madras!

I wrote two letters to him but he replied that he had sent the camera, to me, with the film!
In my despair, I asked Baba about it. He said, `It is with Him at Madras; the picture has come out well; I shall get it for you!'

Dasara, 1945: At Puttaparthi, I took out my camera, as usual to take a picture of Baba, during one of the festival days. I was taking out a roll of film from my box, when my friend told me that it was already loaded! I was surprised at this; we took it out and found it was a used one!

When it was developed at Bangalore, it was found to be the one which was with the photographer at Madras! How it came from his shelf into my camera is known only to Baba or those who know Baba.


~ Smt. Nagamani Purnaiya ~
(Sanathana Sarathi - Nov. 1970)

No comments:

Post a Comment