Friday, July 25, 2014

Baba's Storytime - Serve Thyself



"What you call 'service' to others is fundamentally 'service' to your own self.  You serve yourselves best, when you serve others best.  When you relieve the distress of others, you are winning relief from your own distress.

A cow was once caught in a deep morass and she was struggling desperately to extricate herself.  The slush was mercilessly dragging her into its depths.  The ragamuffins of the village were enjoying the mortal struggle which they witnessed gleefully, cheering the helpless animal when it floundered deeper and deeper.

Just then a monk who was passing along that road saw the plight of the poor cow; he jumped into the bog, without a second thought; he dived into the mire and rose with the cow upon his hefty shoulders.  He carried her safe out of the morass and placed her on her legs, on dry land.  Then he quietly resumed his journey.  The village lads jeered at him, for he had spoiled their fun.  They asked him why he had risked his life so stupidly; they spoke cynically of his great act of 'service'.  

The monk replied, "I did not help the cow; I only helped myself.  I felt the terrible agony of the cow in my own heart.  I had to seek relief.  I could not but jump in and save her.  I am now happy.  My pain has gone."

When you find that others are suffering or in pain, you should feel the pain and the suffering as your own and you should remove it, by serving them.  Cultivate that sympathy; that is the highest Sadhana."


~ Sri Sathya Sai Baba ~

 (From Bhagavan's talk with delegates from East Africa on 9.7.1968,
extracted from the book "The Light of Love" by N. Kasturi)


No comments:

Post a Comment