Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Baba's Storytime - Revere your Parents




 Extracted from Bhagavan's Divine Discourse in Kodaikanal on 6.5.2005.

Pundarika was a devotee of Lord Panduranga.  He held the view that service to the parents was of paramount importance.

One day, he was serving his parents by massaging their feet. In order to test his love towards his parents, Lord Panduranga appeared before him.  But Pundarika did not want to be distracted from his attention and continued to serve his parents.

Then Lord Panduranga asked him, "My dear son!  I have come to give you My Darshan but you are not looking at Me.  Whom are you serving with such single-minded devotion?"

Pandarika replied that he was serving his parents.  Then Lord Panduranga queried, "Is not God greater than parents?  Won't you have My Darshan at least for one second?"  

But Pundarika was not distracted.  He replied, "My parents are living divinities for me.  I cannot have Your Darshan unless I put my parents to sleep.  If You wish to give me Your Darshan, You stand there on the brick till then."

So saying, he pushed a brick towards Lord Panduranga.  The Lord then commended his love and devotion towards his parents and declared, "The world will always remain safe and prosperous if all people cultivate such love and devotion towards their parents.  May such noble sons like you proliferate in this world!"

Great and noble ideas of sacrifice and detachment continued to develop in Pandarika.  He spent his time happily serving his parents and winning their love.


(Source: Sanathana Sarathi - June 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment