Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas Shopping

I was finishing up my Christmas shopping today at a local department store when I noticed something. As I looked around me I didn’t see a single smiling face. The store was crowded too. 

The traffic was elbow to elbow as everyone was trying to get all the presents on their lists. Heads were down. Looks were intense. As I looked from person to person I saw worry, tension, stress, frustration, anger, and many scowls but not a single smile. 

This to me seemed so very wrong. In their hurry to meet Christmas obligations everyone in the store seemed to forget what the true spirit of the season was. I decided, however, not to be mad at them or to leave the store. I myself had been in their position before. I decided instead to try a little experiment. I began to smile joyfully and say "hi" to each person that I passed. I also began to use my kindest "excuse me" and "thank you" whenever I needed to get around someone. 

The effects of this experiment were instantaneous and incredible. You should have seen the scowls melt and the smiles appear. People’s faces seeing the love and joy in my own began to glow in love and joy as well. Bodies that were tense and tight began to relax and loosen as the peace of the souls inside of them took over again. The people talked with me happily and their words took on an almost song-like quality. It became a truly glorious shopping trip. 

It is clear to me now that holiday stress will always flee from the God given spirit of Christmas joy. Remember then to keep your heart, mind, and spirit focused on the true meaning of Christmas. The gift of God’s love for us is greater than any gift you can buy in the store. God bless you all. Merry Christmas. 

~ Joe Mazzella ~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment