Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Greatness Lies in Practice



"One should not be unduly attached to the physical body, but it has to be taken care of properly. Sometimes  you are afflicted with diseases because of negligence on your part. I take the sufferings of devotees because of My love for them. It disappears in the same way as it appears. 

Here is a small example. A young boy was suffering a great deal because of mumps (swollen cheek). The doctor said that it would take a minimum of 20 to 25 days to get cured. He was crying bitterly unable to bear the severe pain. I called him inside and consoled him saying, “When Swami is with you, why do you cry?” I materialised a sweet for him and made him eat. 

I took his pain upon Myself. For any other person, the pain would have been unbearable. Srinivasan was very worried about conducting this conference, when Swami was undergoing so much pain. As the swelling was between the two jaws, it was not possible to eat or speak. What does it matter if the body is not given food for a few days? Hence, I did not care for it. 

I told the organisers to go ahead with the conference. He asked, “Swami, how are you going to deliver the inaugural address?” I said, “I feel the pain if I think that this is My body. But this is not My body, it is yours.” 
All your bodies are Mine. Hence, I take your suffering upon Myself. That is My duty. This is not My body, so I do not care for it. Not only now, at any point of time, I do not care for any suffering. 

I practise whatever I preach. That is why I say, My life is My message. It is not possible for all to understand and realise My Divinity. I do not want to say it in public. I do not indulge in advertisement. All that is Mine is yours and vice-versa. I have no desires at all. All My desires are meant to give you happiness. Greatness does not lie in preaching, it lies in practice. A true acharya (preceptor) is one who practises and then preaches. That is what I am doing."

~ Sri Sathya Sai Baba ~
(From Bhagawan's International Seva Conferences Inaugural Address, 
21st July 2002, Prasanthi Nilayam)

No comments:

Post a Comment