Thursday, July 21, 2022

Roots of Wisdom - The Wisdom of Solitude



When the single flame flickers like fireflies,

and the music of all creation is suspended,

I enter, for the first time,

a peaceful solitude.

When first waking from the dreams of dawn,

and the bustling of the crowds has not yet begun,

I leave, for the first time,

the chaos of riding pre-creation.

Riding these moments, if I ponder and meditate, 

letting wisdom shine and glow,

I know for the first time: 

my ears, eyes, mouth and nose are all shackles.

Emotions, desires, tastes and predilections

are but tricks and schemes.


Just before one goes to sleep and just after waking up is generally when the mind is most clear.  The benefit is greatest when such times are used for contemplation.

(Written by Hong Yingming)


No comments:

Post a Comment